POTTSTOWN PA – Spring and summer performances by the Pottsgrove Community Band, including its first appearance of the season in Spring City, get under way later this month (May 2012), according to Band Director Rod Boyer.
All concerts are free and open to the public. Scheduled so far are:
- May 14 (Monday), 7 p.m., Southeastern Pennsylvania Veterans’ Center, Spring City PA;
- May 21 (Monday), 7 p.m., Pottsgrove High School Auditorium, Kauffman Road, Pottstown PA;
- June 4 (Monday), 7 p.m., Sanatoga Court, Evergreen Road, Sanatoga PA;
- June 11 (Monday), 7 p.m. Zion’s Church lawn, Hanover Street, Pottstown;
- June 18 (Monday), 7 p.m., Chestnut Knoll, Boyertown PA;
- July 9 (Monday), 7 p.m., Sanatoga Ridge Community at Berean Bible Church, East High Street, Sanatoga; and
- July 16 (Monday), 7 p.m., Walnut Woods, Boyertown.
The program of music for the upcoming concert season will include the following:
- Overture to the Marriage of Figaro
- Highlights from “Gigi”
- Salute to Bob Hope
- America, the Beautiful
- God Bless America
- Thunderer March
- Stars and Stripes Forever March
- Brooke’s Triumphal March
- Trombone Rag
- Amparito Roca
- First Suite for Military Band
- Tribute to Harry James
- Olympic Spirit
Formed in 1959 by Tom Roberts, now its director emeritus, the band is sponsored by the Pottsgrove Recreation Board.
Membership in the musical organization consists primarily of residents from Lower, Upper and West Pottsgrove (PA) townships, and represents a wide range of backgrounds. It includes medical professionals, school teachers, engineers, housewives, students, and senior citizens. Some original players from 1959 have continued with the group; others range in age from the teens to the 80s. All are volunteers who rehearse one evening per week and perform at assisted living centers and various parks in the surrounding area.
All musicians are encouraged to join; there are no auditions or fees. When no concerts are scheduled, rehearsals are held Monday nights at 7 p.m. in the band room at Pottsgrove High School, Kauffman Road, Pottstown.
Photo from the Pottsgrove Community Band